Heritage experts know our mill as the Wesselsky Water Mill, while the residents of Loučky call it Pazdera's Mill.
The water mill is located on the right bank of the Odra River, and the water channel leading to it stretches all the way from the town of Jakubčovice nad Odrou.
The mill in Loučky originally belonged to the local commune. In 1571, the mill was transferred to Paul Schwarz by Jan Tomáš of Zvole and Goldštejn.
The mill had three water wheels at the time, and the miller also owned the adjacent field. In the same year, Jan Tomáš of Zvole issued a prolamation stating that, with a few exceptions, the mill in Loučky also belonged to the millers from Jakubčovice. Millers were the farmers who had grain for processing. According to the contract, the serfs were obliged to carry out forced labor in the event that ice floes damaged the raceway and were obliged to clean it whenever necessary, up to the lordship's sawmill, which belonged to the water mill.
The next report on the mill is from 1650. The mill then belonged to the estate, which soon sold it to Jakob Kutscher. In 1693, Hans Weigel bought the mill for 350 thalers. When the Odry estate was sold in 1698, it turned out that there was an outstanding payment at the mill in Loučky and Hans Weigel had to pay off the debt, with interest. In 1723, the mill was passed on to Hans Weigel's son, Martin Weigel, who bought it from his father, Hans, and built a new room as an conveyance to his father. In 1742, Franz Leopold, Count Lichnovsky, confirmed the aforementioned proclamation from 1571 to Martin Weigel. Based on this, Barbara Kajetána Lichnovská settled the dispute that broke out between Weigel and the lower miller Wesselsky from Jakubčovice in 1743. She confirmed that Wesselsky had no claims to milk from Jakubčovice except for the farmers Staff, Popp and Futschik. Karl, the last of the Weigels at the mill in Loučky, sold the mill to Johann Wesselsky, the lower miller from Jakubčovice, to his son Valentin for 1000 thalers (1100 guilders) in 1762. According to the increased price, it can be assumed that the mill was rebuilt or expanded between 1757 and 1762. The buyer undertook to build a new exchange room in the space of the so-called lower garden.
That is how the mill in Loučky came to be owned by the old and respected Wesselsky family, which had milling in its blood. In the lower mill in Jakubčovice, the Wesselskys were certainly milling already in 1650. In 1797, Lorenz Weselsky bought the three-part mill in Loučky in order to regain ownership after teh death of his father Valentino for 2.000 gold coins. From his share, he laid down a deposit of 1.000 gold coins and for the next 20 years, he had to pay 50 gold coins a year. The mill included a garden next to the house and a piece of land. As a swap, the mill included a small room with a barn, a garden and fruit trees, ¼ of the cellar for potatoes and a barn above the cellar. The swap was usually determined by the parents and was usually very decent. Miller Lorenz Wesselsky paid a 10% fee, called laudemium, for taking over the mill, which is similar to a transfer fee today. The miller had the right to operate a craft and freely fish in the mill race. He also had the right to request manual labor or farm animal from the lordship for repairs of the water channel and walls in the event of damage or destruction. The miller from the lower mill in Jakubčovice was also obliged to help. The lordship transported the millstones that he had purchased to him, as well as wood for the mill equipment. The lordship then also arranged for the mill race to be cleaned.
As for the sawmill that was located at the water mill and which the lordship established entirely at its own expense, the miller and the lordship entered into an agreement in 1819 that:
- The water supply would be maintained jointly, as water was common property.
- The lordship would have the lord's millrace connected to the sawmill at its own expense and would also maintain it itself, the miller would maintain the three wooden troughs at his own expense, as well as everything that belonged to the mill, as well as the retaining wall against the garden and the wall next to the sawmill on the left side of the millrace. Because the troughs were connected, the lordship would provide the beams free of charge.
- As compensation for the stoppage of the sawmill, which the miller caused by neglecting to repair his millrace, he would pay 50 gold pieces into the lordship's treasury. Lorenz Wesselsky was a prominent figure, he expanded the property by inheritance and purchase. He had a stone cross built in 1808, which still stands today a short distance from the bridge over the Odra river and is also of great artistic value.
The next miller was Josef, the son of Lorenz. He sold the mill to Ferdinand Wesselsky for 3,000 gold pieces in 1854. His son, Ferdinand Jr., took over the mill, and he became the mayor of the village from 1899. Villages became independent entities after centuries in 1848, with a mayor and a municipal council at the helm.
The last owner of the mill from the Wesselsky family was Ferdinand Franz Wesselsky. During his time, electricity was generated from water power for the upper part of the village, and the mill complex expanded to include new farm buildings. Ferdinand Franz married Johanna Polzer in 1919. She was known primarily for her German-language play ""Im Maien."" They had four children, of whom Gertrude died at the age of thirteen. Her face is depicted on the sculpture of an angel on the monument at the Wesselsky family grave at the Odry cemetery. Ferdinand Franz Wesselsky died tragically at the end of World War II. His wife, along with their sons Helmut and Walter and daughter Notburga, were expelled to Bavaria, where the family lives to this day.
In 1946, the mill was taken over by Hubert Pazdera, who was related to the Wesselsky family through his mother. His mother was the daughter of one of Ferdinand's younger brothers. After World War II, the milling equipment was no longer in operation, only occasional grain milling took place until the early 1950s. The water mill still supplied electricity to the aforementioned part of the village until 1947. Hubert Pazdera began to promisingly develop his own farm, which was ended under duress in 1959 due to social events.
The mill, along with the other buildings, began to deteriorate. The mill machinery and water wheels with accessories suffered particularly from disuse and lack of maintenance. The roof of the sawmill collapsed and the sawmill was eventually demolished. The farm buildings used by the collective farm also took their toll. After the death of Hubert Pazdera, I and my husband became the owners and we are doing our best to save the mill and everything around it.
The owners of the Wesselsky Water Mill
The lordship of Odry – Jane Tomáš of Zvole
1571 - ?
? - 1650
The lordship of Odry
1650 - 1688
1688 - 1710
1710 - 1747
Martin Weigel (son of Hans Weigel)
1747 - 1757
Weigelová (widow of Martin Weigel)
1757 - 1767
Karel Weigel (son of Martin Weigel)
1767 - 1797
1797 - 1834
Lorenz Wesselsky (son of Valentin Wesselsky)
1834 - 1870
Josef Wesselsky (son of Lorenz Wesselsky)
1870 - 1923
Ferdinand Wesselsky (grandson of Josef Wesselsky)
1923 - 1945
Ferdinand Franz Wesselsky (son of Ferdinand Wesselsky)
1947 - 1997
Hubert Pazdera (son of Marie Wesselsky)
Věra and Jaroslav Královi (Věra Králová - daughter of Hubert Pazdera)